Regard For Learning Education Centre
Regard for Learning Education Centre is a small school created to provide a conducive learning environment for young people who are placed in the care of Regard, other local children’s homes or attend the school as day students placed by the local authority.
We provide individualised Learning Programmes for a maximum of 20 students aged 8 - 19 years, many of whom have statements of special educational needs for MLD, PLD, SLD, PMLD, Autism and EBD.
Typically our students will be in public care, have had difficulties coping in a larger school setting, and require a much smaller school setting together with a residential home provision. Regard for Learning Education Centre offers individualised Learning Programmes for students who have previously experienced disrupted education leading to disengagement and challenging behaviours, which in turn has led to them being excluded from mainstream school provision. Regard for Learning Education Centre aims to encourage the students to re-engage in educational opportunities which meet their individual learning needs through one-to -one or small group tuition.
To provide an environment where:
- We will work towards providing a safe, secure and stimulating learning environment that allows and encourages our students to achieve their full potential.
- We will encourage every student to develop a sense of respect for and responsibility towards others, their community and their environment.
- We will work with each student to encourage him or her to modify behaviour so that s/he becomes less excluded from mainstream society.
- Each student will be entitled to a full-time Learning Programme, which takes into account prior learning and achievements.
- All students will be encouraged to take ownership of their learning by understanding what they are doing, why they are doing it and how to develop their work further.
- Every student will be supported to develop skills necessary for accessing further education and entering the world of work.
- Each student will be supported to achieve success in public examinations thus increasing life chances and further post 16 opportunities.
- We will work in partnership with the student’s Carer s and other agencies to maximise support and sustainable successful outcomes for our students.
The Education Centre is all on ground floor level. The rear entrance facilitates wheelchair access into the student reception area. The reception area leads into the dining area which leads to a spacious kitchen used for life skills, baking etc . From the reception area another short corridor leads to the drama/dance/ music hall. A further corridor leads to a quiet room which is alongside the office/staff room and follow s onto an ICT suite. Opposite the ICT suite is a further classroom. There is another spacious classroom at the end of the building. All the classrooms are fitted with Interactive Whiteboards. Showering facilities are available for the students. There is a secure grassed play ground area at the rear of the school.
We use local sport s centres, swimming pools and other lo cal facilities for delivery of t he PE Curriculum, horse riding , sailing and design & technology.
We also provide the opportunity for our key stage four pupils to attend the local college and engage in taster courses enabling them to make a more informed choice post 16.
Locality Manager: Nigel Taylor
Regional Director: Gill Holt